The Bottom Line
- Innovative and eclectic menu
- Moderate prices
- Free valet parking
- Generous portions
- Indoor or outdoor seating
- A few dishes are on the bland side
- Some outdoor tables are too close to parking lot
- Address: 5920 S. Dixie Highway, South Miami
- Phone: 305-668-8205
- Hours: Sun.–Thurs. 11:30 am – 10:30 pm; Fri. & Sat. 11:30 am – Midnight
- Reservations: Recommended, especially on weekends
- Average tab per person: $29
- Other locations: Origin also has second location in Key Biscayne.
- Do you have an opinion about this or any other Miami restaurant? If so, please submit your own restaurant review.
Guide Review - Restaurant Review: Origin Asian Bistro
The huge menu seems a bit out of proportion with the size of the place. They offer dozens of appetizers, salads, entrees and sushi with a range of Asian influences – including Thai, Japanese, Chinese, and Korean. A full bar offers your choice of hard liquor, tropical drinks, Japanese beer and hot or cold sake.
After the complimentary edamame (soybean pods), we started with the Malaysian roti – delicious fried roti bread dipped into a mouth-watering blend of coconut milk and potato with a light curry seasoning. The miso soup was as tasty as I’ve had, and the green papaya salad was tangy and delicious– an exotic blend of fruits and veggies. The coconut shrimp was too bland and dry, but the pan-roasted salmon with saffron curry was more than perfect. Their huge variety of sushi dishes are incredibly fresh and beautifully presented. Portions are generous here, and I was afraid to take one more bite, but the Thai donuts were calling to me. Light and delicate, and served hot with three different sauces, they made a sweet ending to a fantastic meal.
The wait staff is friendly and quick but not overly attentive. Prices are moderate and the food is worth every penny.