- Address: 3401 S.W. 72 Avenue, Miami, FL
- Phone: 305-666-5883
- Web Site: http://www.miamidade.gov/parks/parks/ad_barnes.asp
- Park Hours: Sunrise to Sunset
- Office Hours: 8 am – 5 pm on weekdays, and 9 am to 5 pm on weekends
A.D. Barnes Park is a 65-acre park nestled in the heart of one of Miami’s busiest areas. The park is dedicated to and named after the first Director of the Parks and Recreation Department, who strongly believed recreation was important to the lives of every citizen in Miami-Dade County. Since its opening in 1977, the park has integrated activities that serve people with disabilities into its programming.
The park is home to The Sense of Wonder Nature Center and Trail set within one of the few remaining Pine Rocklands in Miami-Dade County. As a result, it has become an “oasis” for migrating birds and, according to the National Audubon Society, is one of the best places to see birds in Miami.
The Nature Center is also home to the Miami-Dade Fire Department’s Anti-Venom unit’s reptile collection. Whether it is snakes, birds, swimming, or just a day enjoying a sun drenched picnic, A.D. Barnes Park offers something for everyone!
ACTIVITIES AT A.D. BARNES PARK
Sense of Wonder Nature Center
- Phone Number: 305-662-4124
- Nature Center Hours: 9 am – 5 pm daily (closed on Monday & Tuesday)
- Eco-adventure tours offered
- Bird and wild animal sanctuary in 15 acres of native plants and trees
- Guided tours
- Nature center features a reptile exhibit, home of the MDFD Anti-Venom Unit reptile collection
- Continuous nature study and outreach programs for all ages, including school groups and organizations
- Hands-on environmental programs, Native American program and Touch the Bay
- Nature-based camps in three levels for ages 6-16, offered seasonally
- Free or low-cost special events and nature study programs for public
- Fishing lake, playground, jogging trails, picnic shelters and restrooms
- Themed birthday parties
- Group camping
- Kayak Rentals out of Matheson Hammock Park
A. D. Barnes Park Pool
- Pool phone number: 305-665-1626
- Summer Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday from 1-3 pm, and Saturday-Sunday from 1-4 pm
(Learn about many more Public Swimming Pools in Miami.)
Leisure Access Camp
The Leisure Access Center is a special group residential camp for persons with disabilities surrounded by ten acres of pineland and tropical hardwoods. It features two cottages equipped with showers, a lodge, and a dining hall with full kitchen. This campground is available only to groups and/or organizations, no family camping is allowed.
The cabins include 10 (twin) beds per cabin (occupancy load is 20), you can bring additional cots/sleeping bags or roll away beds. There are two fully accessible restrooms with showers in each cabin. There are Ceiling fans as well as central A/C-Heat.
The Lodge / Kitchen area seats 64 with tables and 90 without tables and may be reserved for meetings or social functions. Special activities for persons with disabilities are offered at the camp, and the complex may be reserved for special programs. Reservations are limited to weekends only.
SOURCE: Miami-Dade Parks & Recreation, http://www.miamidade.gov/parks/parks/ad_barnes.asp